Confucius Institute Scholarship
CI Scholarship Preliminary Application!
1. Outstanding students from Confucius Institutes worldwide
2. Teachers who teach or plan to teach Chinese as a foreign language
3. Students who have received a distinguished grade on the HSK Exam
4. Outstanding contestants in the “Chinese Bridge” Speech Contest
5. Students studying Chinese as a foreign language in universities or colleges
6. Those who meet the other requirements of the Confucius Institute Headquarters’ agreements
*NOTE: Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good health.
4 weeks, 1 semester or 1 academic year: Applicants must be of age between 16-35 and have at least basic Chinese.
Bachelor’s Degree: 4 academic years. Applicants must be under the age of 35 and either: 1) have a diploma comparable to a Chinese high school diploma; 2) pass the Chinese university admission examination; or 3) be admitted by recommendation.
Master’s Degree: 2 academic years. Applicants must be under the age of 45 and have a bachelor’s degree or diploma comparable to a bachelor’s degree.
- Registration fees
- Accommodation on campus
Monthly allowance in CNY Yuan per month:
- Bachelor‘s Degree/ 1 semester/ 1 academic year: CNY 2,500
- Master’s Degree: CNY 3,000
Comprehensive medical insurance and benefit plan for international students in China is provided by Confucius Institute Headquarters for scholarship students, in case of hospitalization for serious diseases or accidental injuries.
To apply, please submit the following application materials to the Confucius Institute at the University of Oklahoma by late spring of 2017.
- Fill out the online application at http://cis.chinese.cn
- OU Study Abroad Registration Proof (applicable for OU student only).
- Photocopy of passport photo page.
- Personal statement. Please include your Chinese language learning background, study plan, and goals in China, etc. The statement should be 200 words or more, printed in either Chinese or English, and signed by the applicant. Applicants for a graduate study must also include a detailed research and study plan.
- Certificate or Evidence of Chinese Proficiency. Please provide any certificates of Chinese language education and/or transcripts.
- Diploma and official transcripts issued directly by your school(s). Applicants for undergraduate study must provide a notarized copy of a senior-year high school transcript. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English. Applicants for graduate study must submit two letters of recommendation, in Chinese or English, by professors or associate professors.
- Applications under age 18 must submit letters of approval and provide the emergency contact information of a legal guardian.
- Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (printed by Chinese quarantine authority and only for those whose period of studies in China is 6 months or longer). Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant are invalid.
Application materials must reach the Confucius Institute Headquarters via the recruiting institutions by May 2017. Please check back in the future for the date. Individual applications will not be accepted by the Confucius Institute Headquarters.
Selection of institutions:
Applicants may select 3 institutions from the Confucius Institute’s list of higher education institutions and secondary schools. For more information, please see the Hanban website http://cis.chinese.cn/index.html.
Contacts between applicants and target institutions are encouraged. Please attach any admission letters from target institution(s) to your application materials.
The Confucius Institute Headquarters reviews application materials from the appointed authorities and is authorized to make necessary adjustments on the applied institutions and duration of study. Qualified applications are forwarded to institutions, which make the final decision on admissions.
The Confucius Institute Headquarters will send a list of acceptance to recruiting institutions by late June.
Scholarship recipients must register with their educational institutions.